This is a Sectoral Committee that studies matters related to County health services which includes County health facilities and pharmacies, ambulance services, promotion of primary health care, licensing and control of undertakings that sell food to the public, veterinary services (excluding regulation of the profession), cemeteries, funeral parlors and crematoria and refuse removal, refuse dumps and solid waste disposal. It is a permanent committee established by Standing orders of the Assembly.
The functions of the Committee shall be to-
- investigate, inquire into, and report on all matters relating to the mandate, management, activities, administration, operations and estimates of the assigned departments;
- study the programme and policy objectives of departments and the effectiveness of the implementation;
- study and review all County legislation referred to it;
- study, assess and analyze the relative success of the departments as measured by the results obtained as compared with their stated objectives;
- investigate and inquire into all matters relating to the assigned departments as they may deem necessary, and as may be referred to them by the County Assembly;
- vet and report on all appointments where the Constitution or any law requires the County Assembly to approve, except those under Standing Order 187 (Committee on Appointments) ; and
- make reports and recommendations to the County Assembly as often as possible, including recommendation of proposed legislation.